Area of Specialization
Solid Mechanics (specialized in Fracture Mechanics and Contact Mechanics); Bio-inspired Mechanics and Materials; Advanced Energy Materials; Nanomechanics
Finite element-based analysis (e.g. stress-strength analysis; fracture analysis; virtual prototype analysis); Mechanical characterizations of materials (e.g. tensile test; 3-point bending test; nanoindentation test; hardness test etc.); Material characterization (XRD, EDX etc.)
Dr. Yao received his BEng and MEng degrees in Solid Mechanics from Tsinghua University in 2000 and 2002 respectively. Subsequently, he went to Germany and studied at the Max-Planck Institute for Metals Research. In 2006, he obtained his Doctor degree in Chemistry from Universität Stuttgart. Then he worked at Brown University (2006-2007) and subsequently Massachusetts Institute of Technology (2007-2010) as a postdoctoral Research Associate. Before Joining the Hong Kong Polytechnic University in 2011, he had worked at Sun Yat-sen University for one year.
The research interests of Dr. Yao include bio-inspired mechanics and materials, nanomechanics, contact mechanics, mechanical characterizations of biomaterials, mechanical behaviors of energy materials. So far, he has published more than 45 papers in refereed journals including PNAS, Scientific Reports, JMPS, Nanoscale, and Carbon and so on with total citations reaching > 2000 and H-index=22. Dr. Yao is the awardee of the Research Grant Achievement Award (2014) and Merit Award in Research and Scholarly Activities (Individual) (2014/15) of the Engineering Faculty of PolyU.
Selected Journal Publications
- L. Li, H. Tang, J. Wang, J. Lin, H. Yao*, 2018. Rolling adhesion of cell in shear flow: a theoretical model, J. Mech. Phys. Solids 119, 369-381.
- J. Fu, H. Zhang, Z. Guo, D.-Q Feng, V. Thiyagarajan, H. Yao*, 2018. Combat biofouling with microscopic ridge-like surface morphology: a bioinspired study, J. Roy. Soc. Interface 15, 20170823.
- J. Yang, Y. Wang, Y. Li, H. Gao, Y. Chai*, H. Yao*, 2018. Edge orientations of mechanically exfoliated anisotropic two-dimensional materials, J. Mech. Phys. Solids 112, 157-168.
- Y. Gao, Z. Guo, Z. Song, H. Yao*, 2017. Spiral interface: A reinforcing mechanism for laminated composite materials learned from nature, J. Mech. Phys. Solids 109, 252-263.
- C. He, Z. Xie, Z. Guo, H. Yao*, 2015. Fracture-mode map of brittle coatings: theoretical development and experimental verification, J. Mech. Phys. Solids 83, 19-35.
- Q. Li, W. Li, Q. Feng, P. Wang, M. Mao, J. Liu, L. Zhou, H. Wang, H. Yao*, 2014. Thickness-dependent fracture of amorphous carbon coating on SnO2 nanowire electrodes, Carbon 80, 793-798.
- H. Yao*, M. Dao, D. Carnelli, K. Tai, C. Ortiz, 2011. Size-dependent heterogeneity benefits the mechanical performance of bone, J. Mech. Phys. Solids59, 64-74.
- H. Yao, M. Dao, T. Imholt, J. Huang, K. Wheeler, A. Bonilla, S. Suresh, C. Ortiz, Protection mechanisms of the iron-plated armor of a deep-sea hydrothermal vent gastropod, Proc. Natl., Acad. Sci. USA 107(3), 987-992, 2010.
- H. Yao, H. Gao, 2006. Mechanics of robust and releasable adhesion in biology: bottom-up designed hierarchical structures of gecko, J. Mech. Phys. Solids 54(6), 1120-1146.
- H. Gao, H. Yao, 2004. Shape insensitive optimal adhesion of nanoscale fibrillar structures, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA101, 7851-7856.
- Yao, H., 2014. Bio-inspired Mechanics and Materials, in book Frontier of Applied mechanics, Zishun LIU (ed.), Imperial College Press, Singapore (ISBN: 978-1-78326-683-8).
- H. Yao, H. Gao, 2012. Mechanics of Self-Similar Hierarchical Adhesive Structures Inspired by Gecko, Chapter 10 in book Structural Interfaces and Attachments in Biology, S. Thomopoulos, V. Birman, G. M. Genin (eds.), Springer, New York ( ISBN: 978-1-4614-3316-3).
- H. Gao, B. Ji, H. Yao, Nanostructures in biological materials, Chapter in book Nanostructure Control of Materials, eds. A. J. Hill and R. H. J. Hannink, CRC Press, 2006.
- H. Gao, B. Ji, M.J. Buehler, H. Yao, Flaw tolerant nanostructures of biological materials. In book Mechanics of the 21st Century, eds. W. gutkowski and T.A. Kowalewski, Springer, 2004.
ENG2001 Fundamentals of Materials Science and Engineering
ME33001 Mechanics of Materials
ME6301 Properties, Applications and Modeling of Advanced Materials
External Research Grants
(as Principal Investigator)
- PI, 硅基锂电池负极材料的仿生梯度化设计与制备, NSFC, 2018/21, CNY 640,000.
- PI, Investigation of the lithiation process in constrained anode materials for high-performance lithium ion batteries, Hong Kong General Research Fund, 2016/18, HK$ $695,854.
- PI, Investigation on the mechanics of adhesion between tubeworm (Hydroides elegans) and substrata, Hong Kong General Research Fund, 2015/17, HK$ 692,894.
- PI, Mechanics of morphological optimization of current collectors in Li-ion batteries for enhanced adhesion with Si-based electrode materials, Hong Kong General Research Fund, 2014/16, HK$836,450.
- PI, Exploration of material design principles from the teeth of black carp-a predator of shelled mollusks, Hong Kong General Research Fund Early Career Scheme, 2013/15, HK$763,087.
- PI, Experimental investigation and replication of biological adhesion structures, NSFC, 2011/13, CNY450,000.