Area of Specialization
Laser diagnostics; Structural dynamics; Signal processing
W.O. Wong was awarded a BEng (Hons) degree in mechanical engineering by the Hong Kong Polytechnic in 1987. He worked as a mechanical engineer in the local industry from 1987-1990. He joined the then Hong Kong Polytechnic (now upgraded as The Hong Kong Polytechnic University) in 1990 and has since worked as a lecturer with the Mechanical Engineering Department. Through part-time studies, he obtained a MSc degree in Precision Engineering in 1992 and a PhD in 1997. He was promoted to assistant professor in 1999 and associate professor in 2010. His research interests are vibration analysis and optical metrology with digital holographic interferometry.
Design optimization of dynamic vibration absorber
Research of optimum design of lightweight mass damper to reduce oscillating motions of structures like noisy machines or buildings
Electronic Speckle Pattern Interferometry
A laser technique for the measurement of deformation, vibration, temperature…
|A circular disk clamped at the center||ESPI image|
Visualization of Vibrations:
|The first bending vibration mode of a circular disk with a clamped boundary||ESPI image
(A contour map of the vibration amplitudes)
|The first asymmetric bending vibration mode of a circular disk with a clamped boundary||ESPI image
(A contour map of the vibration amplitudes)
|A bending vibration mode having two nodal lines of a circular disk with a clamped boundary||ESPI image
(A contour map of the vibration amplitudes)
3-D shape measurement with structured light projection
An optical technique for the measurements of surfaces and shapes
Consultancy report (2007): ‘Vibration analysis of a vision machine for electronic component inspection’ for ICOS Vision Systems Ltd. (P07-0006)
Consultancy report (2007): ‘Expert advice on laser speed detectors’ for Rights of Taxi Owners and Drivers Association Ltd. (P06-0430)
Consultancy report (2006): ‘Analysis of the tensile strength of a safety device for residential aluminum windows’ for King Tat Industrial Company (P06-0009)
Consultancy report (2003):’Vibration Test of a Dental Hygiene Apparatus’ for Elite Electrical Instruments Ltd. (P02-0538)
Consultancy report (2002): ‘Evaluation of the acoustical cleaning performance of a sonic toothbrush device’ for Fairform Mfg. Co. Ltd. (R01-0132, P02-0003)
Consultancy report (2001): ‘Evaluation of the acoustical cleaning performance of a sonic toothbrush device’ for Elite Electrical Instruments Ltd.
- WO Wong, YL Cheung and L Cheng (2013), Modal Power Flow Analysis of a Damaged Orthotropic Plate, Advances in Structural Engineering, 16, 115-125.
- YL Cheung, WO Wong and L Cheng (2012), Optimization of a hybrid vibration absorber for vibration control of structures under random force excitation, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 332, 494–509.
- YL Cheung, WO Wong and L Cheng (2012), Minimization of the mean square velocity response of dynamic structures using an active-passive dynamic vibration absorber, Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 132, 197-207.
- YL Cheung, WO Wong and L Cheng (2012), Design optimization of a damped hybrid vibration absorber, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 331, 750–766.
- MH Tso, J Yuan and WO Wong (2012), Suppression of random vibration in flexible structures using a hybrid vibration absorber, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 331, 974–986.
- YL Cheung and WO Wong (2011), H-infinity optimization of a variant design of the dynamic vibration absorber – Revisited and new results, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 330, 3901–3912.
- YL Cheung and WO Wong (2011), H2 optimization of a non-traditional dynamic vibration absorber for vibration control of structures under random force excitation, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 330, 1039-1044.
- XW Wang, and Y Zhou WO Wong, (2011), Turbulent Flow Structure and Swirl Number Effect in a Cyclone, Journal of Fluids Engineering,?133, 111103.
- YL Cheung and WO Wong (2009), Design of a non-traditional dynamic vibration absorber, Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 126, 564-567.
- WO Wong, XQ Wang and L Cheng, (2009), Modal power flow analysis of a damaged plate, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 320, 84-100.
- XQ Wang, WO Wong and L Cheng (2009), Modal Power Flow with Application to Damage Detection, International Journal of Engineering Science, 47, 512–523.
- YL Cheung and WO Wong, (2009), H and H2 optimizations of dynamic vibration absorber for suppressing vibrations in plates, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 320, 29-42.
- WO Wong and YL Cheung, (2008), Optimal design of a damped dynamic vibration absorber for vibration control of structure excited by ground motion, Engineering Structures, 30, 282–286.
- YL Cheung and WO Wong (2008), Isolation of Bending Vibration in Beams with Dynamic Vibration Absorbers, Journal of Vibration and Control, 14, 1231-1246.
- JA Qi, WO Wong, CW Leung and DW Yuen (2008), Temperature Field Measurement of a Premixed Butane/Air Slot Laminar Flame Jet with Mach-Zehnder Interferometry, Applied Thermal Engineering, 28, 1806–1812.
- WO Wong, S L Tang, YL Cheung and L Cheng (2007), Design of a dynamic vibration absorber for vibration isolation of beams under distributed loading, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 301, 898-908.
- WO Wong, XW Wang and Y Zhou, (2007), Turbulent flow structure in a cylinder-on-cone cyclone, Journal of Fluids Engineering, 129, 1179-1185.
- WC Lai, Y Zhou, WO Wong and XW Wang, (2007), Effect of an oscillating cylinder on flow in a cylinder array, Dynamics of Continuous, Discrete and Impulsive Systems Series B: Applications & Algorithms 14 (S8) 63-77.
- JA Qi , CW Leung, WO Wong and SD Probert (2006), Temperature Fields Measurement of a Premixed Butane/air Circular Impinging Flame with Reference Beam Interferometry, Applied Energy, 83, 1307-1316.
- DD Luo, CW.Leung, TL Chan and WO Wong (2005), Simulation of turbulent flow and forced convection in a trinagular duct with internal ribbed surfaces, Numerical Heat Transfer, Part A, 48: 447-459.
- DD Luo, CW Leung, TL Chan and WO Wong (2005), Flow and forced-convection characteristics of turbulent flow through parallel plates with periodic transverse ribs, Numerical Heat Transfer, Part A, 48: 43-58.
- WO Wong, P Feng, SR Reid and KT Chan (2004), Simple Full-field Method for the Elastic Characterization of Orthotropic Composite Plates, AIAA Journal, 42, 2216-2224.
- LH Yam, Z Wei, L Cheng and WO Wong (2004), Numerical analysis of multi-layer composite plates with internal delamination, Computers & Structures, 82, 627-637.
- WO Wong (2003), Comments on The effects of distributed mass loading on plate vibration behavior – Author’s reply, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 264, 982.
- WO Wong (2002), The effects of distributed mass loading on plate vibration behaviour, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 252, 577-583.
- WO Wong (2002), A simple speckle shearing interferometer, Optics and Laser Technology, 34,399-403.
- LH Yam, YY Li and WO Wong (2002), Sensitivity studies of parameters for damage detection of plate-like structures using static and dynamic approaches, Engineering Structures, 24, 11, 1465-1475.
- YY Li, L Cheng, LH Yam and WO Wong (2002), Identification of damage locations for plate-like structures using damage sensitive indices: strain modal approach, Computers & Structures, 80, 1881-1894.
- JW Shu, Q Lu, WO Wong and HC Huang (2002) Parallelization strategies for Monte Carlo simulations of thin film deposition, Computer Physics Communications, 144, 34-45.
- JW Shu, WM Zheng, Q Lu, HC Huang, WO Wong (2002) Parallel computing for lattice Monte Carlo simulation of large-scale thin film growth, Science in China Series F, 45 (2): 103-110.
- WO Wong, LH Yam, YY Li, LY Law and KT Chan (2000), Vibration analysis of annular plates using mode subtraction method, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 232, 807-822.
- WO Wong (1999), Visualization of Dynamic Stress and Strain Fields in Plate Vibrations, Computer Applications in Engineering Education, 7, 99-106.
- WO Wong and KT Chan (1998), Quantitative Vibration Amplitude Measurement with Time-average Digital Speckle Pattern Interferometry, Optics and Laser Technology, 30, 317-324.
- WO Wong (1998), Vibration modeshape visualization with a time average TV holography system, The International Journal of Engineering Education, 14, 241-247 (http://www.ijee.dit.ie/articles/Vol14-4/ijee1010.pdf).
- WO Wong and KT Chan (1998), Measurement of Modal Damping by an Electronic Speckle Shearing Interferometer, Optics and Laser Technology, 30, 113-120.
- WO Wong, KT Chan and TP Leung (1997), Identification of anti-nodes and zero-surface-strain contours of flexural vibration with time-average speckle pattern shearing interferometry, Applied Optics, 106, 3776-3784.
- WO Wong, KT Chan and TP Leung (1997), Contrast and sensitivity of the vibration fringes in time-averaged electronic speckle pattern interferometry: effect of variations of force level, Optics and Laser Technology, 29, 179-185.
- WO Wong (1997), Vibration Analysis by Laser Speckle Correlation, Optics and Lasers in Engineering, 28, 277-286.
- KT Chan, TP Leung and WO Wong (1996), Free Vibration of Simply Supported Beams Partially Loaded with Distributed Mass, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 191, 590-597.
Acoustics & Vibration
FIV & Vibroacoustics