In accordance with the University’s policies, all full-time UGC-funded undergraduates should fulfill the mandatory requirement of Work-integrated Education (WIE). WIE is a work-based, structured and measurable learning experience in an industrial context which is relevant to the students’ areas of studies.
Where to Find?
- To provide opportunities for students to learn in both academic and workplace settings
- To expose students to actual working environment, thereby enhancing the employability of students
- To provide opportunities for students to apply their skills and knowledge to contribute to the industry and community
- To help students to develop a wide range of generic abilities in a working environment
A student is required to spend at least 2 weeks on WIE before graduation.
WIE activities should be “structured”and “measurable” –
“Structured” = the nature of the WIE activity should be well-defined beforehand. It might include, but not be limited to, one or more of the following intended learning outcomes:
- The student is able to appreciate or learn the importance of workplace safety in an engineering environment.
- The student is able to appreciate or learn the importance of environmental issues in an engineering environment.
- The student is able to appreciate or learn the importance of professional ethics in an engineering environment.
- The student is able to acquire or apply engineering knowledge in an engineering environment.
“Measurable” = assessed to meet the WIE requirements and graded as Pass or Fail
Student internship does not necessarily involve employer-employee relationship and the Minimum Wage Orddinance (MWO), being aligned with the Employment Ordinance (EO), does not apply if there is no contract of employment between a student intern and the host organisation.
In other words, Statutory Minimum Wage does not apply to the following student employees:
- Student Interns
- Work Experience Students during a period of exempt student employment
Regarding coverage of accidents during work, PolyU provides Group Personal Accident Insurance coverage for basic protection to students participating in a Local WIE, Mainland WIE, or International WIE programme.
For details, please contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student should get PRE-endorsement for WIE fulfillment BEFORE placement (including internships from CAPS), otherwise it may not be considered to meet the Departmental WIE requirement.
Fill in the WIE Record Form and submit to email@example.com.
Student should update the WIE Record Form (if any) AFTER placement, and submit a WIE Completion Report for approval by Programme Leader.
Write a WIE Completion Report (use the template) and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org.